List of Free Usenet Providers (2022.02.23)
CRYP7010G3R
2023-02-23 18:50:25 UTC
List of Free Usenet Providers (2022.02.23)

Eternal September https://eternal-september.org
Retro BBS https://rocksolidbbs.com
Nova BBS https://novabbs.com
Sunsite http://news.sunsite.dk/ (no https)
DotSrc https://dotsrc.org/usenet/
NZ BBS http://news.bbs.nz/ (no https)
Blue World Hosting https://usenet.blueworldhosting.com/

If the reader knows of any more free providers please reply with info.
CRYP7010G3R - https://defcon.social/@cryptologer
Kerr-Mudd, John
2023-02-23 18:59:08 UTC
On Thu, 23 Feb 2023 12:50:25 -0600
Post by CRYP7010G3R
List of Free Usenet Providers (2022.02.23)
That's a year out of date!
Bah, and indeed Humbug.
Tony
2023-03-02 02:55:07 UTC
Post by Kerr-Mudd, John
On Thu, 23 Feb 2023 12:50:25 -0600
Post by CRYP7010G3R
List of Free Usenet Providers (2022.02.23)
That's a year out of date!
AIOE should have made the list but its buggered now.
Skeeter
2023-03-02 16:42:04 UTC
In article <feULL.1617620$***@fx15.iad>, ***@TheDeliKing.ca
says...
Post by Tony
Post by Kerr-Mudd, John
On Thu, 23 Feb 2023 12:50:25 -0600
Post by CRYP7010G3R
List of Free Usenet Providers (2022.02.23)
That's a year out of date!
All but ES are useless.
Tony
2023-03-03 19:10:52 UTC
Post by Skeeter
says...
Post by Tony
Post by Kerr-Mudd, John
On Thu, 23 Feb 2023 12:50:25 -0600
Post by CRYP7010G3R
List of Free Usenet Providers (2022.02.23)
That's a year out of date!
I've still got a user name and password for Eternal September.
Kerr Avon
2023-03-07 04:36:40 UTC
Post by Skeeter
says...
Post by Tony
On Thu, 23 Feb 2023 12:50:25 -0600 CRYP7010G3R
Post by CRYP7010G3R
List of Free Usenet Providers (2022.02.23)
That's a year out of date!
Post by CRYP7010G3R
Eternal September https://eternal-september.org Retro BBS
https://rocksolidbbs.com Nova BBS
https://novabbs.com Sunsite
http://news.sunsite.dk/ (no https) DotSrc
https://dotsrc.org/usenet/
NZ BBS http://news.bbs.nz/ (no https)
Blue World Hosting https://usenet.blueworldhosting.com/
If the reader knows of any more free providers please reply with info.
--
AIOE should have made the list but its buggered now.
All but ES are useless.
I'm inclined to disagree.
Agency News | news.bbs.nz
MarcL
2024-02-14 01:06:27 UTC
Post by Tony
Post by Kerr-Mudd, John
Post by CRYP7010G3R
List of Free Usenet Providers (2022.02.23)
That's a year out of date!
Post by CRYP7010G3R
Eternal September https://eternal-september.org
Retro BBS https://rocksolidbbs.com
Nova BBS https://novabbs.com
Sunsite http://news.sunsite.dk/ (no https)
DotSrc https://dotsrc.org/usenet/
NZ BBS http://news.bbs.nz/ (no https)
Blue World Hosting https://usenet.blueworldhosting.com/
If the reader knows of any more free providers please reply with info.
AIOE should have made the list but its buggered now.
https://eternal-september.org is still there... This article is posted
through them.
--
All the best,
Marc
Bill W
2023-03-02 05:40:00 UTC
On Feb 23, 2023, CRYP7010G3R wrote (in article
Post by CRYP7010G3R
List of Free Usenet Providers (2022.02.23)
Eternal September https://eternal-september.org
Retro BBS https://rocksolidbbs.com
Nova BBS https://novabbs.com
Sunsite http://news.sunsite.dk/ (no https)
DotSrc https://dotsrc.org/usenet/
NZ BBS http://news.bbs.nz/ (no https)
Blue World Hosting https://usenet.blueworldhosting.com/
If the reader knows of any more free providers please reply with info.
Also On Feb 22, 2023, Sledge wrote (in article
Post by CRYP7010G3R
https://rocksolidbbs.com
https://novabbs.org
They allow free access via Tor and I2P.
So I pointed Chrome to both those URLs (which resolve to the same IP).

I registered with my email address & they sent a verification code.
https://rocksolidbbs.com/common/register.php & now I have a user/password.

Now what?

I read their FAQ but it doesn't say how to post to this newsgroup with it.
https://rocksolidbbs.com/common/faq.txt

I looked for port addresses (such as news.rocksolidbbs:563 or something).
In their forums I found mention of an "i2p" address in this thread.
https://rocksolidbbs.com/rocksolid/article-flat.php?id=597&group=rocksolid.shared.general#597

A typical message in that thread is reproduced below.
"The server you need to connect to is the inn server here:
cm6lpd....3hcq.b32.i2p" (the dots make it useless for me)

Where the dots obviously obscure the actual server address.
But even if I did have the full server address, what do I do next?

I googled for I2P software on Windows and the main link seems to be
https://geti2p.net/en/download

And since I never heard of I2P I had to look it up where this says it's
similar to TOR but it's using hidden services eatsites which end with the
dot i2p using a "garlic" routing which makes everyone the routing hosts.

Now that I know a little bit about what i2p is, I still don't know how to
post to this a.f.n newsgroup using that rocksolidbbs account they gave me.

Is there just some address such as rocksolidbbs:563 with my new user/pass
that I can set my newsreader to so that I can post to this a.f.n newsgroup?
Problem Solver
2023-03-02 09:21:49 UTC
Post by Bill W
On Feb 23, 2023, CRYP7010G3R wrote (in article
List of Free Usenet Providers (2022.02.23)
http://youtu.be/KhG29riqVUE
Now that I know a little bit about what i2p is, I still don't know how to
post to this a.f.n newsgroup using that rocksolidbbs account they gave me.
Is there just some address such as rocksolidbbs:563 with my new user/pass
that I can set my newsreader to so that I can post to this a.f.n newsgroup?
on the page http://novabbs.org/common/nodelist.php

under the Rocksolid Light section find these servers for NNTP

Rocksolid Light:

rslight.i2p

fev4bgoasgxttqb3x3tukxxia6lwryteq6a2ramqb2gjiol3zbu6xaid.onion

news.novabbs.org

you must configure your client for authentication to post

the username should be the email address used to register

the site instructions are hard to find and unclear

perhaps you should forward your message above to the admin

or you could create a complete HTML template and commit to the github
Problem Solver
2023-03-02 09:29:21 UTC
Post by Problem Solver
Post by Bill W
On Feb 23, 2023, CRYP7010G3R wrote (in article
List of Free Usenet Providers (2022.02.23)
Post by CRYP7010G3R
[...]
Doh! I copy-pasted the wrong text block. The server info above is wrong.
Here is the correct server information.

Newsreader Access:

v77lu6t26velvaddm4gibyzd5sogskuczp7vwoc4vxmukvvaucva.b32.i2p
zkcvkb5xprurx5dvpanhyivneuzah6k6xayxgxd4h2ekklxgoi2x5aad.onion:119
news.novabbs.org:119 or 563